Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Early Bird Work Linky Party

I thought I would join Heidi's Early Bird Work Linky Party at Swamp Frog First Graders.  I am getting some great ideas.  I'm really digging Reagan's Daily Math and Daily Language Activities.  You can check it out on her blog Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits

I don't really have morning activities for two reasons.

Reason #1:  I teach at a school that provides breakfast for every student and they eat it in the classroom.  Yes, you read that right -IN THE CLASSROOM.  I can't see me putting a paper on a student's desk while they are trying to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Yes, you read that correctly too.  We have that for breakfast one day a week.  Other breakfast delights include sausage pancake on a stick (looks like a corn dog), cereal with milk, pigs in a blanket, and cheese omelets.  There are mornings that those desks have big greasy fingerprints or sticky messes all over them. 

Reason #2:  Not all my kids walk in the door at the same time.  Some walk in the door at 7:45 while others come walking in at 8:00.  You see the problem. 

So instead of written activities, we have a morning routine. 
I have this poster posted on my small bulletin board at the front of the classroom.
At approximately 8:00 announcements come on the speaker, we say the pledges together, finish up breakfast, clean up and go right into math calendar.

I have tried having something on the promethean board for students to work on or having a paper for them to do but this year it just hasn't flowed smoothly or worked out to my satisfation.  So for now, we are sticking to our morning routine. 

Signature

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up with the Morning Routine, Dawn. Can't imagine trying to get breakfast served in my room. Ours is served in the cafe....but not everyone eats breakfast. I like the picture anchor chart you have for your routine! Thanks for sharing!

    Swamp Frog First Graders

    ReplyDelete